The Second Sunday in each month is one of my favorites. The “game day” atmosphere of Sunday worship, Sunday School (we call it GPS), and Children’s Church gets my blood pumping every week. But on the Second Sunday, we also offer CLUB345 for our 3rd-5th graders from 5-7pm AND we offer a Second Sunday Training Event from 2-4pm.
The purpose of the Second Sunday Training is to offer a regular learning opportunity to the congregation that builds relationships and offers information that can be used on Monday. The focus audience may differ from month to month, but it does give folks a chance to interact and build relationships around a skill.
Attendance has ranged from 2 to 25, and I’m good with that. We have grown to be able to offer free childcare which now allows couples to attend.
- CPR and First Aid Certification (offered each September) for ages 14 through adult led by First Response Certified Trainer…this is the only one we charge for, but it is the fee assessed the Trainer and she/he is paid directly by the participant at the event.
- Special Season (Advent) curriculum trainings for senior youth and adult leaders led by KidMin Director.
- Introduce New Student Curriculum for adult KidMin leaders led by KidMin Director
- Mr. Potato Head Teaches about the Body of Christ for youth and adult leaders of Children led by a guest KidMin Director
- Journaling for ages 14 through adult led by a guest UMC pastor
- Volunteer Appreciation Event for youth and adult leaders led by KidMin Director
- Helping Your Child Transition to Youth Group for parents co-led by Directors of KidMin and Youth
- How to Share the Gospel with a Child for adults led by Director of KidMin
- Credit Unions: Setting and Keeping Financial Goals for 4th grade through adults led by a representative of the Georgia/Florida UMC Credit Union…this was also free, but our guy likes coffee, so a Starbucks giftcard is an appreciated thank-you gesture.
- How to Share Your Faith for Youth led by Youth Director
What other ideas can you come up with to offer training for parents, families, students, students?